You: My name is
Katie Beth and I am a Business Administration major. I am very thorough, organized,
and caring. I also work well with elderly people, which is a necessary skill
for this field. I have experience in this field because I have seen firsthand how
my grandmother’s daily needs have changed as she has gotten older over the
years. While she still lives on her own and fiercely defends her independence,
she now needs help with small errands or tasks around her house, which I often
help her with. While my family and I are lucky that we are able to drop
everything to go and help her, her needs disrupt our schedules multiple times a
week. Starting this business would make a positive impact in the lives of both
seniors and their families, creating a livelihood for myself where I could see
that I was making a meaningful difference.
What are you offering
to customers: The service I’m proposing would provide seniors with
individualized assistance and companionship, based on the senior’s needs. For a
base price of $25 an hour, an assistant would help seniors with everyday tasks
like driving, running errands, medical appointments, cooking, and cleaning. The
assistant can also help manage personal calendars and coordinate household
maintenance. Each senior would be matched up with one assistant to help foster
a close relationship between the assistant and the senior. This one on one
relationship will allow services to be tailored to individual needs and will
also provide the seniors with companionship, which improves their quality of
life and decreases loneliness and social isolation. By helping the seniors with
mundane tasks, this service helps them maintain their independence while
lessening the burden placed on the senior’s family and friends.
Who are you offering
it to: The service’s primary customer market would be middle-aged adults
who are trying to balance their own families and careers with helping to care
for their aging parents. These adult children want to ensure that their parents
don’t have any unmet day-to-day needs, but lack the time or energy to help
their elderly parents themselves. A prototypical customer would be
family-oriented, well-educated (at least a Bachelor’s degree), have disposable
income, and would struggle to maintain a healthy work-life balance. While this
is the primary market, the service can be hired by anyone to assist an
individual over the age of 65.
Why do they care: Adults
with elderly parents will pay to use this service because it will help ensure
that their parents are having all of their needs met, including the need for
companionship. Seniors who live alone often suffer from loneliness and social
isolation, which has been linked to a bevy of negative physical and emotional
effects, like high blood pressure, dementia, and Alzheimer’s disease. By having
a third party meet the senior’s daily needs, customers will find it easier to
balance the needs of their own immediate families and careers. This will allow
the time spent with their elderly loved ones to consist of true quality time.
What are your core
competencies: I think my firsthand knowledge and experience help set me
apart from others in this field. My experiences helping my grandmother have
shown me both the needs of the seniors and the struggle of their families as
the families try to meet those needs. Understanding both sides of this struggle
is crucial to the success of this service because the people buying the service
(the adults with elderly family members) are not the people who the service is
directly helping (the seniors). This means that the service has to equally
consider and understand the needs of both groups to be successful. I think that
few others have experience on both sides of this issue, which helps set me
apart.
I think that these elements fit together, even though they
may seem somewhat disjointed at first glance. While it may seem simpler to
market this service directly to seniors since they are the ones who need
assistance, they often do not see themselves as needing this service since they
are having this need met by their loved ones. The families are often the ones
who struggle with balancing the needs of their families, careers, and
relatives, and they therefore have the unmet need, not the seniors themselves.
Also, the families of the seniors may have a better ability to pay for a
service like this since they are still working, rather than trying to rely on
fixed incomes like many seniors.
Feedback Memo: I
am still awaiting feedback on my first idea napkin. That being said, I noticed
that I underemphasized the value of companionship and that I had an overly
broad and vague customer definition in my first idea napkin. Companionship is a
crucial element of this service, and I barely mentioned it in the paragraph
where I defined what the service was. I have added more details on the companionship
aspect of the service in the “What are you offering to customers” paragraph in
my second idea napkin. I have also updated my customer definition in “Who are
you offering it to” to include more details about a prototypical customer for
this service, including their values and education level. Further expanding on the
demographics and psychographics
of my prototypical customer helps me better define my potential market in this
idea napkin.
Hi Katie,
ReplyDeleteThat’s great that you found areas to improve in your idea napkin without any feedback. Also, seeing that you have firsthand experience in having an elderly family member who needs help I think can really be an advantage for you starting up with business, because you truly know their needs, more so than someone who maybe has not had your experience. Great job.