For the second reading assignment, I read Mindset: The New
Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck.
1. The general argument of the
book was that there are two types of mindsets: fixed mindsets and growth
mindsets. People with fixed mindsets think that abilities are fixed and cannot
change and tend to be risk-adverse, respond negatively to any criticism or
challenges, and rely on outside validation. Conversely, people with growth
mindsets think that abilities can grow and change, and they typically are not
afraid of failure, put effort into learning and bettering themselves, seek out
challenges, and respond positively to criticism or setbacks. Most people embody
one mindset more than the other, and the mindset they have shapes how they see and
react to the world. We also have the power to change our mindset and therefore
our worldview.
2. The book enhanced what this
class has taught me about effort and learning. In this class, we receive feedback
and criticism on every assignment. We have to learn from the feedback and use
it to improve. Learning how to adopt a growth mindset helps us respond to
criticism in more positive ways and therefore learn more from it. Starting your
own business is dealing with one challenge or hurdle after another, over and over.
Adopting a growth mindset helps entrepreneurs learn from these challenges and
face them with excitement and renewed effort rather than dread. To succeed, entrepreneurs
must adopt a growth mindset where effort and hard work are seen as givens, criticism
is welcomed, and every challenge is viewed as an opportunity.
3. If I had to design a class
exercise based on this book, I would probably create a questionnaire to help
people determine if they have a more fixed or growth mindset. Since
acknowledging a problem is the first step to eventually fixing it, helping
people with fixed mindsets recognize that they actually have fixed mindsets is
essential to actually creating change and cultivating a growth mindset.
4. I think my biggest “aha”
moment while reading this book was realizing that I have a more fixed mindset.
While I did not fit some aspects of the fixed mindset, like the aversion to
putting effort into tasks, I was much closer to the fixed mindset than I
expected to be, especially in terms of my “intelligence mindset.” Recognizing
that I was someone who needed to work on cultivating a growth mindset helped me
get more out of the book, which will hopefully translate into me being a better
individual.
I enjoyed reading your post - it has made me interested in reading this book to understand the different mindsets. I think the questionnaire would definitely be beneficial. It reminds me of the importance of your Myers Briggs personality test. I believe understanding yourself is the best way to become successful.
ReplyDeleteHi Katie,
ReplyDeleteGreat job on this post. I read the same book and it was great to have some clarity on why some people stay stuck and never grow. Also, for the 3rd question I had a very similar idea as well. Having a growth mindset in the world of entrepreneurship is so vital, and I think being able to learn about that can really change many peoples trajectories.